Having earned its place in the Android hall of fame, the original Galaxy S can start thinking about retirement. And these wont be thoughts of fear and worry. With a replacement on its way, the veteran can look forward to getting the respects it deserves.
Samsung Galaxy S II official photos
And what a replacement it is. Samsungs Galaxy lineup is home of some of the worlds finest droids. But the I9100 Galaxy S II is special. The forerunner was in contention for the Best Droid title and more than once got a hand on it. But it was only a matter of time for the competition to eventually catch up and even get ahead. The Galaxy S II aims to put Samsung back in the lead.
Samsung I9100 Galaxy S II at a glance:
- General: GSM 850/900/1800/1900 MHz, UMTS 850/900/1900/2100 MHz, HSDPA 21 Mbps, HSUPA 5.76 Mbps
- Form factor: Touchscreen bar phone
- Dimensions: 125.3 x 66.1 x 8.5 mm, 116 g
- CPU: Dual-core ARM Cortex A9 1.2 GHz processor, Orion chipset
- GPU: Mali-400MP
- RAM: 1GB
- OS: Android 2.3 (Gingerbread)
- Memory: 16/32GB storage, microSD card slot
- Camera: 8 megapixel auto-focus camera with face detection, touch focus and image
- Connectivity: Wi-Fi a/b/g/n, Wi-Fi hotspot, Bluetooth 3.0+HS, standard microUSB port,
- Misc: TouchWiz 4.0 UI, DivX/XviD codec support, built-in accelerometer, multi-touch input, proximity sensor, gyroscope sensor, Swype text input
Display: 4.3″ 16M-color WVGA (480 x 800 pixels) Super AMOLED Plus capacitive touchscreen, Gorilla Glass,
stabilization; Full HD (1080p) video recording at 30fps, LED flash, front facing camera, video-calls
GPS receiver with A-GPS, 3.5mm audio jack, FM radio, TV-out, USB-on-the-go
The success of the original Galaxy S was based on four key features: the big Super AMOLED screen, the processing power, the 720p video recording and the ever evolving Android. The Galaxy S II is not just a cursory update it upgrades all the key ingredients of its predecessor. The Super AMOLED Plus looks better and is more power efficient. The powerful dual-core processor and faster graphics make the Galaxy S II a silky smooth performer in web browsing and media.
On top of that, Samsung has really listened to the users. Theyve added a LED flash to the camera and 8 MP sounds like they finally mean business. Not to mention the full HD videos were quite impressive. There is even more the Galaxy S II has ditched the glossy battery cover in favor of a textured surface that makes the phone appear both more mature and durable.
Samsung I9100 Galaxy S II
The Galaxy S II is slightly bigger than its predecessor, but thinner and lighter. Its a monster of a smartphone with a killer screen and premium imaging. You can bet the Gingerbread ticking inside feels right at home. And though this isnt the first time were about to see it in action, wed gladly spend more quality time with it.