Dual-SIM is usually the domain of no-name brands, and the few models signed by top makers are well worth a look. Because when you need to make a lot of calls on a shoestring, nothing beats the likes of the Nokia C2-00.
Nokia C2-00 official photos
The Nokia C2-00 seems like a mid-range phone from the nineties at first, but this modest handset actually makes a lot of sense, and use. Being a dual-SIM, dual-standby phone is the obvious highlight: you can have two active phone lines in the same device.
Better still, the second SIM card is easily hot-swappable through a side-mounted slot, so you can juggle multiple SIM cards with relative ease. You also get support for large microSD cards so the C2-00 can double as a music player or an FM radio with recording capabilities (in some markets). Plus, the loudspeaker is extra loud on this one.
There’s no hiding that the Nokia C2-00 is a cheap phone – the camera is as basic as they get. But instead of putting fancy disguises, Nokia went ahead and added some features to make the C2-00 even more helpful. Here’s what you get.
- Entry level dual-SIM, dual-standby phone with decent features
- Dual-band GSM/EDGE connectivity
- Hot-swappable second SIM
- 1.8″ 65K-color 128×160 TFT display
- Series 40 UI, 6th edition
- Fixed-focus VGA camera
- QCIF video recording @ 10fps
- Nokia Messaging and Ovi Chat
- Stereo FM radio with RDS; broadcast recording (in some markets)
- Bluetooth 2.1 (with EDR)
- Standard microUSB port
- microSD card slot (32GB supported)
- 3.5mm audio jack
- No quad-band or 3G connectivity for either SIM card
- Doesnt charge off its USB port
- Very basic camera with subpar image quality
- No smart dialing
- Miserable display (viewing angles are slim at best)
- No flashlight (just kidding)
The Nokia C2-00 software package offers extras such as an Expense Manager app – a relevant addition to a budget-minded phone. There’s also an English-Chinese dictionary built-in (this feature is region dependant) and an app that will give you tips on how to use the phone.
Hardly impressive to a smartphone owner, those are just the type of things that can add value to a handset meant for emerging markets.
Nokia C2-00 live shots
Flip to the next page to see just how much kit you can buy for 50 euro or so.