Motorola has been famous for its mid-range Moto G series and the eight (G)eneration has spawned five phones already. The Moto G8 Power is shaping to be the most interesting among those with a premium large screen, plenty of cameras, stereo speakers, and sheer battery capacity to last you for days.
The Moto Power phones have been focused on battery endurance and this G8 Power delivers – the phone has a massive 5,000 mAh battery, fast charging enabled at that, and with the efficient hardware and software tweaks it should be capable of matching the promised 3 day battery life.
The 6.3″ LCD screen is as 2020 as possible with that punch-hole cutout – the smallest of them notches. The extended 1080p resolution is plenty for a mid-ranger, while the maker also promises a vivid and bright picture. We will see about that in a bit.
The Moto G8 Power also impresses with Dolby-tuned stereo speakers, some four cameras on its back, and capable Snapdragon 665 chip. The power boots the latest and rather stock-ish Android 10, enhanced with some of the most popular Moto tricks.
Moto G8 Power specs
- Body: Plastic frame, plastic back; Splash resistance; 156×75.8×9.6mm, 197g.
- Display: 6.3″ OPS LCD, 1080x2300px (399ppi), 19:9 aspect ratio.
- Chipset: Qualcomm Snapdragon 665 (11nm), octa-core CPU (4×2.0 GHz Kryo 260 Gold & 4×1.8 GHz Kryo 260 Silver); Adreno 610 GPU.
- Memory: 4GB RAM; 64GB storage, shared microSD slot.
- OS: Android 10.
- Rear camera (quad): Main: 16MP, 1/2.8″ sensor size, 1.12µm pixel size, f/1.7 aperture, PDAF; [email protected] video recording. Ultrawide: 8MP, 13mm, f/2.2, [email protected] video recording; Telephoto: 8MP, 52mm, f/2.2, AF; Macro: 2MP, f/2.2, AF. LED flash.
- Front camera: 16MP Quad-Bayer, 1.0µm, f/2.0.
- Battery: 5,000mAh Li-Po; 18W TurboPower charging.
- Connectivity: Single/dual nano SIM ; Wi-Fi b/g/n; Bluetooth 5.0 + LE; GPS, BDS, Galilleo, GLONASS; USB-C (USB 2.0); FM radio; 3.5mm headphone jack.
- Misc: Rear-mounted fingerprint sensor; stereo speakers.
Motorola advertises the Moto G8 Power as splash resistant. The phone features what many other entry-level and mid-range phones offer – a P2i nano-coating that prevents light splashes from damaging the internals. It is not made for underwater selfies, obviously.
And now it’s time get this new Moto G8 Power out of its cool black box.
Unboxing the Moto G8 Power
The Moto G8 Power comes packed within a compact paper box and it contains everything to get you started. Inside you will find an 18W charger and a USB-C cable.
The phone ships already wearing a transparent silicone case, so you get protection right out of the box. There is no screen protector applied in the factory, though it is easy to buy one these days.