Posted by Wojtek Kaliciński, Developer Advocate, Android
Stephanie Saad Cuthbertson announces aid for Kotlin during the Developer Keynote at I/O 2017.
Currently at OSCON (the O’Reilly Open Source Computer software Convention), Kotlin was awarded the Open Source Award for Breakout Job of the 12 months.
There is no doubt to us why Kotlin obtained this award: it is a quick transferring (but thoughtfully developed) programming language that allows you compose greater code, quicker. It’s good to see Kotlin continue on to get the type of recognition as Breakout Undertaking of the 12 months, developing on other awards like #1 quickest expanding language on Github.
We’re huge admirers of Kotlin, and we’ve heard that you are too – responses from you is in section why we announced assist for the language more than two yrs ago. This meant bundling the Kotlin plugin in Android Studio, together with promising to help Kotlin-created applications likely ahead.
But there was a extended way to go for quite a few teams at Google to present a initially class working experience with Kotlin in the Android ecosystem, and to persuade builders that Kotlin on Android is not just a trend, but is listed here to remain.
If you have not attempted Kotlin nonetheless, now is a wonderful time to get started! In fact, in the past two years, we’ve been including a variety of new options and upgrades to the Kotlin for Android encounter, including:
- Android Jetpack APIs now have to start with class assist for Kotlin Coroutines, reworking the way we do async functions on Android. This includes Area, LiveData, ViewModels, WorkManager and extra coming in the upcoming.
- Lots of Jetpack libraries have Kotlin extension libraries (KTX) to make utilizing them even more fluent with Kotlin.
- The compilation toolchain has been given quite a few improvements for Kotlin, which includes compiler enhancements, incremental annotation processing with KAPT, and Kotlin-unique R8 optimizations.
- All of our documentation webpages now have Kotlin code snippets, so you can simply look at how our APIs function in the two languages.
- Most of our flagship samples are also published in Kotlin (including IOSched, Plaid, Sunflower and numerous more), alongside with any new samples that we make in the upcoming.
- We have included a language switcher to our API reference web pages, so you can have a Kotlin perspective of the AndroidX library and the Android framework.
- We doubled down on supplying advice to developers and groups who want to swap to Kotlin on our developers.android.com/kotlin pages.
- Our Developer Relations engineers are publishing genuine daily life illustrations and guides on integrating Kotlin in your applications on our Medium publication, these as the good intro to Coroutines on Android series and several far more.
- If you like to learn Kotlin in individual, you can be part of one of the lots of Kotlin/Everywhere you go occasions occurring around the earth. If you are an organizer in a neighborhood developer community, take into consideration signing up to host your own event!
This initiative is a cooperation among JetBrains and Google.
- For those of you who you should not have entry to in-human being education, we added a new, free study course on Udacity for Developing Android apps in Kotlin. Our Kotlin Bootcamp for Programmers course is nevertheless offered as perfectly!
- We have worked with many exterior companions to assemble feed-back and understand about their encounters with Kotlin, these as this scenario study with Sq..
- And last of all, we’ve enabled Kotlin as a supported language for Android app teams at Google. We’re currently observing adoption in applications this kind of as Google Household, Google Travel, Android System UI, Nest, with many a lot more to comply with.
The road to absolutely supporting Kotlin on Android was not generally easy, but it was truly rewarding observing Kotlin adoption among skilled Android developers rise from a handful of early adopters to about 50% since the first announcement!
We were self-confident when we announced earlier this 12 months at Google I/O 2019 that Android is heading ever more Kotlin-1st, opening up the likelihood for APIs built particularly all-around Kotlin and for Kotlin consumers, setting up with the new, declarative UI toolkit – Jetpack Compose (however in early progress).
We want to congratulate JetBrains, our associates via the Kotlin Foundation and creators of Kotlin, on getting the OSCON Open Source Award these days. It shows how disruptive and transformative Kotlin has been, and not just for the Android developer community, but further than.
We know 1 issue: on Android, Kotlin is in this article to keep.