Posted by Dave Burke, VP of Engineering
We’re just a couple weeks absent from the formal launch of Android Q! As we put the ultimate polish on the new system, right now we’re rolling out Beta 6, the past Beta update. Now is the time to make guaranteed your applications are ready, in advance of we convey the formal release to consumers. Just take this possibility to complete up your testing and publish your app updates before long to give end users a clean transition to Android Q.
You can get Beta 6 today on Pixel products by enrolling below. If you’re currently enrolled and acquired Beta 5, you may automatically get Beta 6 shortly. Partners collaborating in the Android Q Beta application will also be updating their devices more than the coming weeks — take a look at their internet sites to learn additional. To get started with Android Q, visit developer.android.com/preview.
Observe for a lot more info on the formal Android Q release coming before long!
What’s in Beta 6?
Today’s Beta 6 update includes the hottest Android Q program photographs for Pixel and Android Emulator, the final API 29 SDK, and up to date create resources for Android Studio. Beta 6 consists of all of the capabilities, program behaviors, and developer APIs that you will obtain in the ultimate system, so it provides you every little thing you need to get your apps prepared. For buyers, Beta 6 features several new fixes and optimizations — just take a appear at the launch notes for particulars.
We have produced even further refinements to Gesture Navigation in Beta 6 based mostly on person feed-back. Initially, to guarantee trustworthy and consistent procedure, you can find a 200dp vertical app exclusion restrict for the Again gesture. Second, we’ve extra a sensitivity preference placing for the Back gesture. Look at for extra information coming quickly in our site post sequence on optimizing for gesture navigation.
Get your applications completely ready for Android Q!
With the consumer launch coming quickly, we’re inquiring all Android builders to update your existing applications for compatibility as before long as feasible.
Here’s how to do it:
- Set up your app on Android Q: Set up your present-day app from Google Perform onto an Android Q Beta device or emulator, then test. Your app ought to appear good and run effectively, with whole features, and manage all of the Android Q habits adjustments correctly. Look at for impacts from privacy variations, gestural navigation, improvements to dynamic linker paths for Bionic libraries, and some others.
- Check with the Android Q privacy functions, this kind of as the new area permissions, constraints on track record activity begins, alterations to facts and identifiers, and others. See the privacy checklist to get started off, and evaluation the behavior improvements doc for far more locations to check.
- Check for makes use of of limited non-SDK interfaces and move to community SDK or NDK equivalents instead. Information listed here.
- Test the libraries and SDKs in your app: If you uncover an issue, attempt updating to the newest model of the SDK, or attain out to the SDK developer for assistance. You can also report SDK compatibility issues right here.
- Update and publish your compatible app: When you have completed your screening and produced any updates, we propose publishing your suitable app proper away. This allows Android Beta consumers exam the app now, and assists you deliver a easy transition to users as they update to Android Q.
We comprehend that supporting these modifications is an financial commitment for you way too, so thanks to all of you who have prioritized the work to get your apps prepared for Android Q!
Greatly enhance your app with Android Q features and APIs
Following, when you are all set, dive into Android Q and understand about the new options and APIs that you can use. Right here are some of the prime options to get begun with.
We recommend these for each individual app:
- Dim Theme: Make certain a consistent experience for people who permit procedure-large darkish concept by adding a Darkish Topic or enabling Drive Darkish.
- Support gestural navigation in your app by likely edge-to-edge and creating sure your custom made gestures are complementary to the method navigation gestures.
- Enhance for foldables: Provide seamless, edge-to-edge encounters on today’s impressive products by optimizing for foldables.
We advise these if related for your app:
- Far more interactive notifications: If your notifications include messages, enable suggested replies and actions in notifications to interact end users and let them acquire motion instantaneously.
- Much better biometrics: If you use biometric auth, shift to BiometricPrompt, the most popular way to support fingerprint auth on modern day units.
- Enriched recording: To guidance captioning or gameplay recording, enable audio playback seize — it is a terrific way to access much more users and make your app additional accessible.
- Better codecs: For media applications, attempt AV1 for video clip streaming and HDR10+ for high dynamic selection online video. For speech and audio streaming, you can use Opus encoding, and for musicians, a native MIDI API is readily available.
- Much better networking APIs: If your app manages IoT gadgets around Wi-Fi, test the new community relationship APIs for functions like configuring, downloading, or printing.
These are just a couple of of the a lot of new options and APIs in Android Q — to see them all, check out the Android Q Beta internet site for builders.
Publish your app updates to Google Enjoy
As shortly as you might be all set, publish your APK updates to Google Play that are compiled in opposition to, or optionally focusing on, API 29. To make positive that your updated app operates very well on Android Q as nicely as more mature versions, test working with Google Enjoy screening tracks. With tracks you can properly get early feed-back from a compact group of consumers and then do a staged rollout to output.
How do I get Beta 6?
It is effortless! Just enroll any supported Pixel system here to get the update over-the-air. If you’re by now enrolled, you may acquire the update soon and no motion is wanted on your element. Downloadable program photographs are also offered listed here. Associates who are participating in the Android Q Beta program will be updating their devices above the coming weeks. See android.com/beta for aspects.
To get begun acquiring, down load the formal API 29 SDK and resources into the steady release of Android Studio 3.4, or for the most current Android Q support update to Android Studio 3.5 Beta. Then stick to these instructions to configure your surroundings, and see the release notes for known troubles.
Be sure to keep on to share your feedback and requests in our challenge tracker. You can use our hotlists for submitting platform concerns (which includes privateness and conduct improvements), app compatibility troubles, and third-celebration SDK problems.
A major thank you to our developer neighborhood for your participation in our current Reddit AMA on r/androiddev! It is normally fantastic to hear what’s significant to you and we hope we had been able to enable!